3.01.2004

Op-Ed Columnist: Not Peace, but a Sword
"The Passion of the Christ" is a bloody film. It is shocking. It is very emotive. But to become angry at the Jews like the crowds which are described in this article, and like those he references at Oberammergau is to totally misunderstand the suffering of Jesus Christ. Christ himself in the gospels and in Gibson's movie prays to God saying "Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

To blame the Jews of deicide and to further persecute them for the death of Christ is absurd. All of humanity is guilty in the death of Christ. Satan and his rebellion against God and our rebellion against God sent Jesus to the cross.

Unfortunately there are many who will misinterpret Gibson's film as there have always been those who misinterpret the Bible. So because something can be misinterpreted, does that mean we shouldn't speak of certain things?

I am sometimes misunderstood in the sermons I preach. I have had to apologize for insensitive remarks. I have had to try to explain myself and my meaning further. Sometimes we come to an understanding. Other times things can't be worked out.

It's amazing how every time this happens there is a filter that the other person has that they listen to my sermon through. We all have filters. We all have lenses we view the world through. Because of this, books, articles, and movies are all subject to misunderstanding. I guess because of this we should all just keep our mouths shut. Including the op-ed columnists.

No comments: