3.15.2004

I am feeling rather discouraged today. Sundays are busy days in a rural two church pastorate. I preach at the Presbyterian Church at 9:30am and then the Christian Church at 11:00am. Following the Christian Church service, we finished up our Baptism/Confirmation/Pastor's class. I went home for an hour and then returned to the Christian Church for youth group. Three girls showed up.

I am discouraged because I don't know what to do when three girls show up for youth group. I used to work with large youth groups in the suburbs. We had a fun time sitting and talking, but I want to do so much more for these kids out here.

I know there are many youth in this town that do not go to church. But it seems like there is little chance of attracting them to the church. After reading Mark Miller's book Experiential Storytelling I have felt greatly challenged to create experience for the youth out here to enter into the story of Jesus and the church. The hardest thing now days is drawing a crowd to come.

I am hoping to start a worship experience for younger people in our community this summer. Maybe this will create the momentum that we need.

No comments: