3.05.2004

Amazon.com: Books: Pastoral Visitation (Creative Pastoral Care and Counseling Series)
I finished this book earlier this week. Let me just say that it was a difficult read because it is so overly didactic and boring. The book is best when the author shares stories about pastoral visitations she has done. It is also excellent when she shares ideas about being intentional with pastoral visitation, such as visiting with people much like a doctor would to assess their spiritual health.

The book included helpful lists of concepts and ideas to keep in mind when visiting with folks and ways to seek to be a pastor in these visits. In other words, the author does provide some ideas and resources for engaging people below the surface.

Yet, this is already a short book and it could have been shorter! I will take some but not much from this book. Part of my difficulty with the book may be my lack of interest or education in pastoral counseling which to me, fills the majority of the discussion in this book.

As a young pastor, I was hoping for some help in this area. I got some, but can still use a whole lot more.

No comments: