3.06.2004

Experiential Storytelling
A sermon tells people what to think. A story forces people to do the thinking for themselves. It can feel dangerous because it allows for interpretation. But one of the adjectives used to describe the Holy Spirit is "counselor." Do we trust our people and the Holy Spirit enough to allow them to think for themselves? Can we leave something open-ended, knowing the conclusion might not come until later that day, week, month, or year? Can we allow people to own the stories? Or do we do all of the interpreting and leave nothing to the imagination?

I was always criticized for not applying enough in my sermons in seminary. Yet I felt that people are smart enough to come to their own conclusions and the Holy Spirit can be trusted. I must say that this has carried over into my ministry. I do work on application, but many times people draw applications that I never intended, yet the Holy Spirit is working in their lives in ways I couldn't anticipate, plan for, or imagine.

My wife and I went on a Catholic marriage retreat several years ago at an Ignatician retreat house. We were given hours of togetherness and very little instruction. We were suppose to practice silence except at meals. We spent much time alone as a couple. No small sharing groups. Very little content. Just us and God. It was the most powerful marriage retreat I have ever experienced!

Yet Protestants freak out with this. We feel like we need to teach, have break out sessions, have small group interaction and fill up every moment of the retreat with content. God forbid we might trust him to do something apart from our efforts!

Unfortunately, this mentality is pervasive in our churches today. I believe pastors must diligently prepare their messages each week seeking guidance from the Holy Spirit. But I also know there is a limit. We must trust the Holy Spirit to make up for our limitations. We must trust the Holy Spirit to be at work in people's lives often inspite of ourselves and our sermons.

No comments: