11.01.2005

Warfare worldview evidence: Christian Teens Beheaded in Indonesia


Ever since I became familiar with Greg Boyd and his books, especially God at War, I have been wrestling with my reformed roots, which emphasize the sovereignty of God and understand God's sovereignty and omnipotence to mean total, absolute meticulous control. The understanding is that God has a "blueprint" for history that he is following. But does the evidence in the world around us support this view? Or does the evidence suggest a warfare worldview as argued for by Greg Boyd? To help me and perhaps you wrestle through this issue, I've decided to start blogging evidence for a warfare worldview. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue as we seek to sort this out. Here's the first post:
In what one Indonesian human rights activist describes as the latest attack in an ongoing terror campaign against Christians of Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, three teenage girls en route to school through a cocoa plantation were beheaded Saturday morning, apparently by Muslims.

Theresia Murangke, 14, and Ida Lambuaga and Alfina Yarni Sambue, both 15, were attacked one mile from Sayo village near the town of Poso, reports Indonesian Christian journalist Ibrahim Buaya, who formerly lived in this volatile region of Indonesia. A fourth girl, Noviana Malewa, 14, escaped from her attackers with machete wounds to her face. Buaya reported that she is in Poso General Hospital under heavy guard. The Associated Press reported that Noviana told police the six attackers wore black shirts.

1 comment:

Idhrendur said...

Hrm...I've always had the more "warfare" view myself.

However, two of my roommates have strong reformed backgrounds (and in fact are very staunch Calvinists). The disagreement on God's soviergnty (as you're describing here) is probably our primary theological disagreement.

I'm curious to see what kinds of conclusions/arguments/whatever you come up with.