11.23.2005

Redeeming Harry Potter


Harry Potter. For some in the Christian community them's fightin' words! Here's an interesting article and a quote to grab your attention:
I was recently interviewed on live radio about current movies, and when asked which I was looking forward to the most, I rattled off a few of my obvious choices—including Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which opens this week.

"Uh oh," said the host half-jokingly, "you've just lost half our audience." I was then asked to justify how a Christian could possibly accept and endorse a series of books and films that promotes the occult. Looking back on my fumbled response, I can't help but think of that verse in 1 Peter about being prepared to give an answer to anyone who asks.

Harry Potter remains a hot potato, polarizing Christians left and right because of three words: wizards, witches, and magic. Deuteronomy 18:10-11 warns us to avoid engaging in pagan rituals and sorcery, and for sure, Christianity and witchcraft don't mix.

So what's your opinion of Harry Potter? Can Christians and Harry Potter get along?
Filed in: ,

3 comments:

Milton Stanley said...

Hmm... I wrote the longest post I've written in a month, and now I don't see it. Are you filtering comments?

Steve said...

Sorry Milton! I don't know what happened because I don't moderate the comments.

Ken said...

I love Jesus and I am huge Harry Potter fan!!! I thnk Jesus would go see the movie with me too, and then maybe go grab a drink, you know he had much better fights to pick than this.