6.30.2004

Vampire Christians

Another powerful quote from the Relevant Magazine interview with Dallas Willard.
[RM]: “I think you quoted Tozer a while back in another interview where he suggested that a new heretical thought had entered the modern Christian thought. The idea that people come to Jesus and say, ‘I want some of your blood for the forgiveness of my sins, but I don’t have any intention of following you or obeying you, and now if you’ll excuse me I’d like to get on with my life’.”

[DW]: “Those are what I call ‘Vampire Christians’. Tozer actually does say that this is outright heresy. He was very clear about this and the dear man was such a Christ-like man that he could do this and get away with it. But, on the other hand, you’ll have people who will hear this and say, ‘Isn’t that pretty?’ and they’ll do absolutely nothing about it.”

Wow! Heresy! I wonder how many of folks in our churches today would bristle at that word? I wonder how many Christians are truly Vampire Christians?

So what's the antidote to vampire Christians? Discipleship! Making disciples! Let us go and make disciples of all nations!

No comments: