6.25.2004

Fourth of July Syncretism

From Open Source Theology:
I lived for two years in the Netherlands as an “expatriate” - someone who lives as a non-citizen in a country not their own. I learned a lot of things, but most of all, through the homesickness I sometimes felt, even in the midst of loving my experience of living abroad, I learned an excellent model for our time here on earth. We are, all of us who know Christ, expatriates- living for a time in a foreign country. We can enjoy it, but if we ever stop feeling homesick, we are in trouble.

So, next Fourth of July, go ahead and light off some fireworks, thank God for the freedoms you have, enjoy a nice parade or picnic… but maybe leave the Star-Spangled Banner out of the worship set, okay?

I really appreciate Bob's thoughts in this article and yet I know that to not have any patriotic songs in my churches on July 4th would be seen as anathema to my church members.

Part of the issue is that my churches are full of WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam vets. They take their patriotism seriously! And since my generation has never been to war, I can't easily stand in judgment of them, speaking prophetically to them. Yet I feel the "God and Country" view does need to be challenged. (Sorry dad!) So how do we challenge this attitude with gentleness and respect for our Veterans of Foreign Wars?

It feels to me that when we include "God and Country" themes we are delving into syncretism. We are fusing worship of our country to worship of God in our churches. This is a dangerous practice indeed. It is dangerous to our souls. It is dangerous to our understanding of the Kingdom of the Heavens. We must gently challenge this idea with the old war veterans and fervent patriots in our midst. Ultimately, all disciples must be called to allegiance to the Kingdom of God.

No comments: