6.15.2004

Prostitutes love Jesus too

Continuing in the vein of Nouwen's book here's Dallas Willard's thoughts on the relationship between love and faith from his excellent book The Divine Conspiracy:

"Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Look at this woman kneeling here. When I entered your home, you didn’t offer me water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You didn’t give me a kiss of greeting, but she has kissed my feet again and again from the time I first came in. You neglected the courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has anointed my feet with rare perfume. I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.” (Luke 7:44-47, NLT)

“Loved me much!” Simply that, and not the customary proprieties, was now the key of entry into the rule of God.

Jesus went on to say to the woman, “Your sins are forgiven. Your faith has saved you. Go with peace in your heart.” Here is God’s rule in action.

We must not overlook the connection between faith and love. The woman saw Jesus and recognized who he was and who dwelt in him. That vision was her faith. She knew he was forgiving and accepting her before he ever said, “Your sins are forgiven.” She knew because she had seen a goodness in him that could only be God, and it broke her heart with gratitude and love.

I find this passage fascinating! She hadn't attended a new members class or a confirmation class. She hadn't been instructed as to what the correct propositions concerning Jesus were that she needed to believe. She didn't pray the "sinner's prayer." She simply observed Jesus, was attracted to him, and fell in love with him. She just loved Jesus.

This is of vital importance for us today. Acts 1:1 says,
In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach.

I thought it was finished? But no, Christ's work continues through his followers! Therefore, the question for us is, do our lives attract people or repel? Do they observe us, are attracted to us, and fall in love with Jesus who dwells in each of us who are now in Christ?

Sadly this is often not the case in my life...forgive me Father, let me fall more and more in love with you so others can too.

No comments: