6.30.2004

Poor Preaching

Another great quote from the Relevant Magazine interview with Dallas Willard.
As intelligent men they were capable of addressing issues clearly and that is what you do not hear today. The level of intelligence in our sermons, the abysmal story telling that you hear constantly is just hopeless. The power that comes through the Bible itself, which is the most intelligent book ever written, is lost.

I have read many blogs bemoaning the role of the sermon in the future church. But maybe many are so critical of the sermon because so many sermons are done so poorly.

I am a rather inexperienced preacher. I have only been preaching weekly for the last 20 months or so. I am constantly amazed at the excitment of my parishioners when it comes to my preaching. They are regularly extremely complimentary. I find this surprising and sad as many of these folks are in their 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and have gone to church faithfully throughout their lives. Shouldn't I not be one of the best preachers, with my relative inexperience, that they have had at their church?

Yet, I fear that I am one of the better preachers from their point of view. The only reason I can give for this is that many of their previous pastors were going through the motions and not faithfully and diligently working at the task of preaching.

I don't mean to be overly critical but in the two denominations I serve (the PCUSA and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) I haven't been very impressed with much of the preaching that I have been exposed to. If I had to endure some of the preaching I have heard week in and week out I'd have long ago left the church. Fortunately, I grew up sitting under some wonderful preaching at Cherry Hills Community Church and Dr. Jim Dixon.

I believe their is a bright future for preaching in the church. But great preaching doesn't just happen, you must work at it and cooperate with the Holy Spirit as you prepare each week.

1 comment:

Phil Steiger said...

This is all so true-the sorry state of preaching today as well as the need for "intelligent" pastors and sermons. The pastor used to be the focal point of the community due to their maturity and education, and now they are probably seen as peddlers.

I agree that the answer is not to rid church services of the sermon, but to rejuvinate the sermon as it should be.