9.16.2005

The Making of the Christian - Christianity Today Magazine


Dallas Willard and Richard Foster are two of my heroes (though I believe they would hate being called that!). Recently Willard and Foster along with Eugene Peterson and Walter Brueggeman teamed up to edit The Renovaré Spiritual Formation Bible. I'm usually not one for niche Bibles. But I don't think this Bible should be understood in that way. Here's a great quote by Dallas Willard from the first part of the interview which is here. Part two here.
What sometimes goes on in all sorts of Christian institutions is not formation of people in the character of Christ; it's teaching of outward conformity. You don't get in trouble for not having the character of Christ, but you do if you don't obey the laws.

It is so important to understand that character formation is not behavior modification. Lots of people misunderstand it and put it in the category of Alcoholics Anonymous. But in spiritual formation, we're not talking about behavior modification.

3 comments:

Idhrendur said...

I had been thinking something along those lines recently...it's nice to see someone putting my thoughts into words for me!

Traci DePree said...

I'm so happy to have found this blog! I'm looking forward to many more insightful posts.

Steve said...

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Traci, nice to have you with us!

Grace and peace,
Steve