9.13.2005

Keepin' It Holy - Parenting and Sabbath keeping


Here's a good article on Sabbath keeping written for parents. The article prompts me to ask: are we doing a good job challenging ourselves and our families to be counter cultural in Sabbath observance? Don't get me wrong, I'm not for legalism. But we do need to teach ourselves and our children to rest and attend to God.
Sabbath, after all, is very counter-cultural. It's a godly way of challenging many false assumptions that govern our broader culture. As Dorothy Bass says, 'Sabbath-keeping forms habits of cultural resistance around pressure-points that are at the heart of our culture's distress: consumerism, time-famine, family fragmentation.' For Bass, 'decommericalizing the Sabbath is a key thing. I realized I needed to stop shopping on the Sabbath because shopping was one place where my own sin and the culture's need intersected. I was finding myself sitting in church thinking about getting a new piece of furniture rather than being properly attentive to God!'

No comments: