8.06.2004

8 days, 2 weddings, 2 funerals, 2 sermons

It has been a marathon week! Today, I will officiate the 2nd funeral this week and then cram some work in on my sermon from Hebrews 11.

The woman that died this past week joined the Christian Church in 1954. No one at the church can remember her ever coming! In 50 years no one can remember her attending! Wow! Of course, this will not be mentioned at the funeral.

Now I know that church is not the end all or be all of the Christian life. I know that we are saved by grace not by going to church. But to completely forsake the gathering of the body of Christ is totally counter to what I believe Jesus desires for us.

Furthermore, I am becoming more and more convinced as I read The Divine Conspiracy, that salvation is more than just believing the right theory concerning the atonement. Salvation is relationship. Salvation is transformation. How is transformation demonstrated, how is relationship demonstrated in someone's life if they fail to become a part of the community of believers? Should not our relationship with Christ transform us, transform our priorities, transform how we spend our time?

Yet the focus for so many people at a funeral is whether or not they believed the right thing. Few ask if they were transformed. Fewer still offer evidence that they were transformed. I hope that at my funeral there will be much talk about how God transformed me, changed me, how I was passionately in love with Jesus Christ. I hope it's not an exposition of what I believed. Who cares what you believe if it doesn't change you!
[Listening to: Comfortable - John Mayer - Inside Wants Out [EP] (5:00)]

No comments: