2.23.2004

PC(USA) - Ash Wednesday-Is It Presbyterian?
Who cares? I serve a Presbyterian congregation and I am often dumbfounded at how seriously people take being a Presbyterian! We even have some in our church that think the reason we are not growing is because we are not emphasizing our Presbyterianism enough!

In my opinion, and in the opinion of many scholars who study church growth, this idea couldn't get much farther from the truth. In fact we are not growing because we are in a rural area that is literally dying, with few new families moving into the community.

Will the emerging church get away from this denominationalism? Much of evangelicalism already has, but it is going to die hard among mainline protestants. Will the mainline be able to reinvent itself to reach the younger generation? I have my doubts! Especially when the chief concerning for some surrounding Ash Wednesday is, "Is it Presbyterian."

No comments: