2.02.2004

Janet Jackson's Bare Breast Sparks FCC Probe
We had the youth from our churches over to watch the Super Bowl and there were several times I was stunned by what I saw on TV. Obviously Jackson and Timberlake's stunt was one of them.

But even more disturbing to me was how inoculated the students appear to be to this kind of stuff. I was blushing at times and they never seemed disturbed or embarrassed by any of it.

At times I don’t feel kids have a chance to live a life of purity. A life of obedience to Christ. I know obedience to Christ is more than a few moral issues. But the odds sure seem against these kids more than ever.

It doesn’t help that much of the church is irrelevant to them as well. How do we turn junior and senior high school students into passionate followers of Christ? How do we help anyone become a passionate follower of Christ?

I am becoming more and more convinced thanks to Eugene Peterson that much of the answer for pastors is prayer, attending to Scripture, and spiritual direction.

No comments: