1.22.2004

No funerals!
For the first time in 2004 I will not be officiating at a funeral this week! Yet I did receive a call on Tuesday from a woman in the community whose mother-in-law is dying of cancer. She is only expected to live for two to three weeks. I visited with her Tuesday afternoon in the hospital. This will be the second terminally ill person I walk this path with in less than a year.

What do you say to an elderly woman who is dying? I enjoy sitting and listening, holding and crying, praying and grieving. I have walked into the rooms of terminal patients who are being told the “good news,” encouraged to say a prayer. Is this what I am to seek to do as a pastor?

As I wrestle with my calling and especially in moments of being at the bedside of a terminally ill person, my evangelical upbringing screams at me to share the gospel and make sure they are saved before they die. Yet I know I can’t control them or their response. I feel it is far more important to develop a relationship with this person, to weep with them, to mourn with them, to pray for them. I try to enter into conversations with them about their current experience. I try to let them know I love them. I try to communicate the love of Jesus to them through my words and actions. I desire for them to know Jesus Christ and to know that he is the way, the truth, and the life. But ultimately I know that I am not responsible for getting them there.

Brian McLaren talked about counting conversations rather than conversions. I want this woman and all the other terminally ill that I walk this path with and their families to know that I am their friend first regardless of their belief. I care about them because they are persons made in the image of God. I am building a relationship with them to get to know them, to love them, to minister in every way I can to them, not solely to convert them. If conversion happens great, but too often evangelicals treat that as the one and only goal of ministering to the terminally ill.

No comments: