1.22.2004

Evangelicals and ecumenism
With my evangelical background, the last church I thought I would be ordained in was the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). I never dreamed I would pastor a DoC church let alone a Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)! The week before my ordination, I kept having doubts. Is this alright? Is this what I am supposed to do? What will all of my evangelical friends think? Many evangelicals are afraid that they will be considered guilty by association. They think that if you spend time with "liberals" and are ordained in a "liberal" denomination then you must be a liberal.

Maybe you've just outgrown the evangelical box.

I have crossed over. I have entered the mainline mainstream. And I love it! Here there is theological freedom (especially in the DoC). There is freedom to investigate and even embrace many ideas that are seen as wrong by evangelicals.

I am finding that these people, these “liberals” love Jesus Christ and His church. They love people. They seek to minister to all in the name and love of Jesus.

Moving into the mainline has opened my eyes to social justice issues that most evangelical communities completely miss. The mainline challenges me and stretches me.

It has been in the mainline that I have come to understand and appreciate liturgy (first in the Anglican Mission in America, now in the DoC and PCUSA). I have come to wrestle with the Sacraments and am seeking to embrace a sacramental view of life and ministry. I thank God that he called me to serve this DoC church out in the sticks! How else would he have moved me into the mainline?

No comments: