1.20.2004

Five Days
Five days since I last posted. Sorry about that! I have been very busy and sick as well! No fun being sick!

I am struggling with the question of relevancy in the church. I plan to write about this issue for a few days as I wrestle through it. I have read some from Henri Nouwen and Eugene Peterson that really challenges our notions of relevancy. The Presbyterian tradition, which I am currently a part of, also challenges some of these ideas concerning relevancy.

What is it that the emergent church really wants? On the surface it appears that the emergent church is about a particular style of worship and about relevancy to the postmodern crowd.

But digging deeper, there are theological issues at stake in the emergent church. I would imagine that over time, the emerging theology will shape the worship more and more. Time and time again I see the concept of preaching challenged in emergent church discussions. Yet some emergent churches have preachers that preach for 45 minutes to an hour or longer! And yet there are other churches that focus on liturgy.

The overall concept that I see emerging is the idea of being true to yourself, your calling, and your convictions. Well just a few random thoughts for today. What do you think?

No comments: