1.13.2006

Rich aliens: possessions and God's Kingdom


This is a very interesting article on the relationship of church and culture. Listen to these challenging words:
Too often, of course, the contemporary church simply mirrors the culture. Increasingly, we are less a holy city drawn together around Christ and more a part of the suburban sprawl that celebrates individual autonomy, choice, entertainment, and pragmatic efficiency.

Sadly, I feel this statement is true. This morning I finished the excellent book God & Your Stuff: The Vital Link Between Your Possessions and Your Soul. In this book, the author Wesley Willmer, argues that the use of our possessions is our trademark as Christians and a test as stewards. Willmer argues that "if Christ is not first in the use of our money, he is not first in our lives." Jesus said it this way, "where your treasure is, there your heart is also." By this challenging standard, no wonder the church mirrors culture typically just creating a christianized subculture of the larger culture. Sadly, most in the Christians in the church mirror cultural attitudes toward money and possessions. Few Christians call into question our materialistic lifestyles.

And it is in large part the clergy's fault! Pastors have not been trained in a theology of stewardship and therefore are not training the church. My seminary education did not include a mandatory class on stewardship. And the church I grew up in tended to preach the subject when it was necessary.

This year I am planning on preaching on stewardship once a quarter. It will not be a desperate appeal for funds. It will be an invitation to discover the powerful spiritual discipline of giving. And hopefully, slowly but surely, the folks in my church and their pastor will begin shattering the mirrors of culture in our lives.


Technorati Tags: , ,

6 comments:

leah said...

Just stopping by to say "HI" and that I found your blog.
Blessings!
leah
www.joyfulsoundrecords.com
www.leahslogic.blogspot.com

myrrha said...

Hi Steve;
Was lead to read your blog when I saw the word "rural". Living in rural Ontario (that's in Canada, eh?) I can share your joy and your pains... as of this morning; I one of the many who is leaving the church. I've been a worship leader and involved in a hundred ways over the years. It will be hard. Labels abound... but I am excited about being true to the paradigm shift that is in me that I cannot explain.
And remember to always keep extra tortilla chips around the house. We know how that feels! HA!
~ mary

Ecclesial Dreamer said...

I couldn't agree more that this is not sufficiently taught in the ecclesial chain of command or in theological education in general.

I just started Miroslav Volf's newest book and I highly recommend it to you. It will be a good resource. It is titled Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving In A Culture Stripped of Grace. If you are going to preach on stewardship four times a year this should be in your library.

Peace

James

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts. It inspired a post on my blog this morning. I think financial giving is only the tip of the iceberg for deeper issues in the American Christian church. Our lifestyle shows that we put ourselves first and God second (I include myself in the criticism). God needs to turn us upside down and show us a new lifestyle modeled after Jesus Christ.

Idhrendur said...

I am greatly thankful that my pastor takes the time to teach on this topic regularly.

Additionally, my church does something that I really like. We'll do all but one worship song, then someone will come and read something from the Bible, and explain that we'll be taking the offering during the last worship song, because giving is an act of worship. And then we do it!

I'm glad that I've had the beginings of training in stewardship at the early age I have...

D. Marco Funk said...

I preached a sermon about sex and money the other day and received lots of encouragement for it... I was shocked.
here it is, if ya wants to read it:
http://www.geocities.com/marco_funk/Stewardship.doc