10.04.2004

Sometimes Ministry Stinks - LeadershipJournal.net

Nothing in the ministry has the power to determine the pastor's countenance. In the words of Viktor Frankl, "The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances." So why would you hand over that freedom to a bedpan? You may have to carry the smelly mess, but you don't have to let it into your soul, where attitudes are created.

Dignity in ministry is found not in the task but in the one who has called us to it. If you are clear that it is Christ who has called you to serve this church, then you are always part of a royal priesthood. But you have to choose to see that. It's the only way you can look like royalty while doing a task that just stinks.

In my years in ministry, I have found it to be true that the church attracts some odd people. But I have always worked hard to love them and to show them God's love for them through how I treat them.

Where I wrestle with this issue is when these odd people begin to suck you dry and take up lots of time and energy to minister to. How do you go about setting boundaries with them?

Though this question is beyond the scope of Barnes' article I believe it is also an important issue to consider.

Eventually the members and elders of the congregation get bugged by the problem parishioner, but it usually falls to the pastor to "do something about it."

Many times though, I have found that these odd people who bug others in the church are a wonderful opportunity to grow in their ability to love.

When I was a youth pastor I was amazed at how loving the kids could be toward difficult and odd kids. They humbled me in the love the showed to odd people. And to me, that's the church in action! So pastors, turn the tables! Encourage your people to reach out to and love the unloveables and the odd folks in your church and community. I bet God will teach everyone a lot in the process. Maybe even someone will grow spiritually!

No comments: