5.20.2004

Christ and Culture


Fun book, bad history. Posted by Hello

I am amazed at how some Christian's interact (or rather don't interact) with culture.

Tonight, I presented a seminar on The Da Vinci Code. We had a pretty good turn out for our little community. Knowing that the audience would be moderns, I was comfortable presenting a very modern, foundational view of the New Testament (you must exegete your audience!) while throwing in plenty of post-evangelical comments and thought for them to chew on. The seminar went really well and I had a lot of fun doing it.

Afterward a person from one of the non-denominational charismatic churches asked me alot of questions. "Why would we 'stoop down' to reading something that isn't God's truth? Why should we engage the culture with these secular books?"

I remember when I was afraid of the culture. I remember when I believed in guilt by association. I am so glad that I have moved beyond that! And I hope this person can and will too!

I am becoming more and more sensitive to just how intolerant and close-minded evangelical and especially fundamentalist Christians are. And most just don't get it!

May the emerging church continue to work toward open and healthy dialogue with people of all beliefs. May we humbly seek to share Jesus Christ faithfully, trusting that the Holy Spirit is already at work in the lives of those around us, even if it is through those secular books like The Da Vinci Code.

No comments: