12.31.2003

Park Meadows
We went shopping at the mall for the first time in I don't know how long. It was amazing how busy the mall was and on a Tuesday afternoon! It really causes me to pause and think. What do we think we are here for? Are we here to consume? I am amazed at how much I want (and after a day of shopping ironically you find you want more!). That's one thing I enjoy about living in a rural area. Sure we have Amazon but we don't have the easy access to all the shops and restaurants. It's nice to have so much less vying for our attention.

It's interesting to me how much "stuff" clutters our souls. I feel that I want to make a conscious effort consuming less this year. And yet I am pulled to consume. Pulled to consume more especially gadgets.

I am very challenged by the simple lifestyle that many people "out in the sticks" live. We'll see if I can become less of a consumer this year. What is the opposite of a consumer? Producer?...

No comments: