4.22.2005

Christians leaving the church


Billy
Originally uploaded by hawkenstein.
Here's a quote from an article from Charisma Magazine Online
But even those with serious concerns about the results of so many Christians bailing on church commitment see a potential silver lining in it--if, rather than just deciding that they don't like what church is, those leaving get serious about what they think it should be.

'I'm happy that people are asking the questions,' Hunter says. 'I'm sad that it is keeping them away from church.'

Many people are disenfranchised with the institutional church. And for good reason.

Many churches are dead. Others are all show and no substance. Still others are all tradition and no relevance. Some are intolerant to the point of sin and others are so open-minded that their brain falls out.

I often struggle with my place in the current church landscape. I find I am a mutt when it comes to polity and doctrine. I feel that no category fits me or maybe I don't fit any categories.

My spirituality is contemplative and studious, contemporary and ancient, congregational and hierarchial, liturgical and free, incarnational, missional, relational, relevant.

Maybe that's why I pastor yoked congregations that are very different in polity and practice. I would feel cheated if I only pastored one and not the other.

Yet at the heart of the church is to be love. Love for the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Love for others. Remember these are the two greatest commandments.

Yet many times lack of love, not polity or doctrine or worship styles, is what drives a wedge between my churches. And sometimes that makes it so I want to leave...

But where would I go? Maybe I'll stay home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Steve, this is mark kraakevik. Long story but I found your site through a blog by Vaughn Thompson.

Just thought I would say hi.

Mark Kraakevik, Centennial youth guy

rev-ed said...

Steve, there are times when each of those characteristics are important to express. I pastor a small rural church which is 8 miles from the nearest town. The glue which keeps us together is love. We can't sing to save our lives. We have enough kids around to disrupt a worship service. But we love God and appreciate most ways of expressing that fact.

Yoked churches can come in handy for your benefit. I know there are many Sundays I wish our service could have some dynamic music to further inspire worship. But the important part is there -- the love.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve - I found your blog through a blog D P (above) wrote. I'm a christian living in Colorado Springs and I appreciate your comments as a fresh drink of clear water. {hug}