11.02.2004

Luke 20:27-38

As I study this passage in preparation for this week's sermon, I am reminded of what Dallas Willard said about Jesus in his book The Divine Conspiracy. Willard called Jesus the greatest teacher ever. Here in verse 28, the Sadducees trying to trip up Jesus call him Teacher.

Is this an image of Jesus that I hold? Do I view him or understand him as Teacher?

This led to asking Jesus questions like you would a Teacher. Teacher, is God good? Teacher, is anything certain? Teacher, how can I be a better husband, father, follower?

It is amazing how different it feels to pray like this! To pray to The Teacher, seeking his input, his truth, his wisdom on life's situations.

I liken it to seeking out a mentor, becoming an apprentice. Who would you most like to be an apprentice for? The Donald as in the show The Apprentice? Who we choose as a mentor has much to say about our values.

[Listening to: From The Beginning - Phil Keaggy]

No comments: